Thanks to a unique collaboration between 12 museums, The Standard Bearer by Rembrandt van Rijn will travel through the 12 provinces of the Netherlands in the coming year. This way everyone can get acquainted with Rembrandt's masterpiece from 1636 in their own province. We are honoured to welcome the famous painting from 2 August to 31 August 2022. The painting can be seen for three weeks in each of the participating museums in the country. Each museum offers free admission for at least one day. After the tour, Rembrandt's The Standard Bearer can be admired permanently in the Hall of Fame of the Rijksmuseum.
Rembrandt's The Standard Bearer (1636) was purchased by the Dutch State at the end of January 2022 with the support of the Rembrandt Association and the Rijksmuseum Fund. The tour through the Netherlands is made possible by the Rijksmuseum, the Rembrandt Association and the Vriendenloterij. An accompanying book about the acquisition and the importance of the painting for the Netherlands collection will be published in collaboration with the Rembrandt Association.
12 museums in 12 provinces in 12 months
The tour through the Netherlands will take The Standard Bearer from May 2022 to May 2023 along:
1. Fries Museum in Leeuwarden (May 2022)
2. Centraal Museum in Utrecht (June 2022)
3. Stedelijk Museum in Alkmaar (July 2022)
4. Drents Museum in Assen (2 August 2022)
5. Kunstlinie in Almere (September 2022)
6. Het Noord-Brabants Museum in ’s-Hertogenbosch (October 2022)
7. Mauritshuis in Den Haag (November 2022)
8. Rijksmuseum Twenthe in Enschede (December 2022)
9. Museum Arnhem in Arnhem (January 2023)
10. Zeeuws Museum in Middelburg (February 2023)
11. Bonnefantenmuseum in Maastricht (March 2023)
12. Groninger Museum in Groningen (April 2023)